I recall getting small boxes of animal crackers as a treat as a child. I would be so excited to find some of my favorite animals inside - lions, giraffes, and horses! It sure helped that they were delicious, too.
We all have fun memories of food as a child. This recipe, Animal Crackers on a Log, takes two popular kid-friendly snacks (animal crackers and ants on a log) and puts them together in one tasty mash-up.
If you're needing to make this peanut-free, you can use another type of chopped nuts, raisins, or coconut flakes in the place of the unsalted peanuts.
Enjoy and tell us about your favorite childhood treats on our Facebook page!
Animal Crackers on a Log
- 2 stalks (about 9 inches each) celery
- 2 Tablespoons low-fat cream cheese
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted peanuts, chopped
- 12 animal crackers
1. Wash celery and trim off leafy top and white stalk base.
2. Fill center of each stalk with 1 Tablespoon cream cheese. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
3. Place filled celery stalks on cutting board and cut each into 3 equal pieces.
4. Push 1-2 animal crackers (depending on size) into the cream cheese filling on each piece of celery.
5. Serve immediately or store in the refrigerator for up to 1-2 days.