There are so many choices when it comes to drinks. It really can be tough to know which ones are the best options for you and your family. Many drinks have added sugar, fat, or salt. Balance your beverage choices with activity and healthy foods for a lifestyle that works for you.
Best Choices: Yes! Offer and choose these drinks most often to stay hydrated.
- Water (plain or seltzer)
- Unsweetened tea or coffee (limit coffee to 4 cups per day or less)
- 1% or fat-free milk (3 cups per day)
Choose Less: Slow Down! Drink these beverages less often.
- Diet Soft Drinks or Diet Sodas
- Flavored waters
- 100% juice (limit to 1 cup per day)
Choose Rarely: Limit these to rare occasions! These drinks have more added sugars, fats, or alcohol.
- Soft Drinks or Sodas
- Energy or Sports Drinks
- Fruit Flavored Drinks (with added sugars)
- Sweetened Coffee Drinks
- Milkshakes or Smoothies*
- Alcoholic Beverages
* While smoothies can be made with nutrient-dense ingredients, they should rarely be chosen for hydration purposes. Some smoothies can be considered a snack or a part of a meal rather than a beverage.