Wash hands with soap and water.
Crumble ground meat into 1 1/2 quart glass casserole and add onion.
Cover and microwave on high for 4 minutes.
Stir to break meat into small pieces and continue microwaving until meat reaches internal temperature of 160 degrees F.
Drain off juices from cooked meats.
Stir in pepper and pizza sauce into cooked meat.
Cover and microwave on high 5 to 6 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Stir in 1/2 cup of the shredded cheese.
Arrange bottom halves of buns on glass plate.
Spoon the meat mixture onto buns and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
Top with other halves of buns.
Microwave 30 seconds or until cheese just starts to melt.
Nutrition Facts calculated with 93% lean ground beef and wheat hamburger buns. Recipe makes approximately 3 cups of meat mixture, or 1/2 cup per bun.
To make on stove-top with skillet:
1. Add ground meat and chopped onion to a large skillet over medium heat. Using a fork or spatula, break up ground meat. Cook thoroughly and drain away remaining grease.
2. Stir in black pepper and pizza sauce. Reduce to low heat and cook until sauce is bubbly, about 5-6 minutes.
3. Stir in 1/2 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese.
4. Arrange bottom halves of buns on plate. Spoon meat mixture onto buns and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
5. Top with other halves of buns and serve.