So many of our favorite recipes here at Illinois Nutrition Education Programs are few in ingredients and big on flavor! Our Stuffed Potatoes recipe definitely falls into this category. It has been a favorite around the office! While the recipe calls for diced ham, you can choose another cooked meat (ground beef, chopped turkey, etc.) or your favorite vegetable instead -- depending on what's available in your fridge. Let us know what you added to your potatoes on our Facebook page!
- 6 medium baking potatoes
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1 cup low-fat cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 & 1/2 cup diced lean ham, other cooked meat, or cooked vegetables
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Wash and dry potatoes. Prick the skins with fork.
- Bake potatoes for 55 to 60 minutes or until fork-tender OR in the microwave oven for 18-20 minutes, allow 5 minutes standing time after microwaving.
- When done, cut a slice off the top of each potato and scoop out centers into a bowl.
- Add milk, pepper, and cheese to bowl of potatoes. Beat until light and fluffy with hand or stand mixer or wire whisk. Fold meat into mixture. Put mixture back into potatoes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- Place potatoes on baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts (per serving/potato): 250 calories, 3 g fat, 640 mg sodium, 39 g total carbohydrates, 4 g fiber, 17 g protein